• HÃY CÙNG TẠO & THẢO LUẬN CÁC CHỦ ĐỀ KIẾN THỨC [Vn Kiến Thức] - Định hướng VnKienthuc.com
    -
    Mọi kiến thức & Thông tin trên VnKienthuc chỉ mang tính chất tham khảo, Diễn đàn không chịu bất kỳ trách nhiệm liên quan
    - VnKienthuc tạm khóa đăng ký tài khoản tự động để hạn chế SEO bẩn, SPAM, quảng cáo. Chưa đăng ký, KHÁCH vẫn có thể đọc và bình luận.

Rèn luyện kỹ năng làm bài đọc hiểu môn tiếng Anh

Kina Ngaan

Dạng bài đọc hiểu là dạng không còn xa lạ đối với học sinh trong bất kỳ bài thi tiếng Anh nào. Để làm được dạng bài này, cần nắm chắc từ vựng, hiểu ngữ cảnh để hiểu toàn bài đọc và xử lý từng câu hỏi. Đây không hẳn là một dạng bài khó, nếu bạn có những kỹ năng làm bài. Với mong muốn củng cố kiến thức, mời bạn đọc tìm hiểu bài viết dưới đây.

1. Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C or D to indicate the correct answer to each of the questions.

SCIENCE FLYING IN THE FACE OF GRAVITY

It looked just like another aircraft from the outside. The pilot told his young passengers that it was built in 1964, a Boeing KC-135 refuelling tanker, based on the 707. But appearances were deceptive, and the 13 students from Europe and the USA who boarded the aircraft were in for the flight of their lives.Inside, the area that normally had seats had become a long white tunnel. Heavily padded from floor to ceiling; it looked a bit like a lunatic asylum. There were almost no windows, but lights along the padded walls eerily illuminated it. Most of the seats had been taken out apart from a few at the back, where the young scientists quickly took their places with a look of apprehension. From 12 months, science students from across the continents had competed to win a place on the flight at the invitation of the European Space Agency. The challenge had been to suggest imaginative experiments to be conducted in weightless conditions. For the next two hours the Boeing's flight resembled that of an enormous bird which had lost its reason, shooting upwards towards the heavens before hurting towards Earth. The intention was to achieve weightlessness for a few seconds. The aircraft took off smoothly enough, but any feelings that I and the young scientists had that we were on anything like a scheduled passenger service were quickly dismissed when the pilot put the plane into a 45-degree climb which lasted around 20 seconds. Then the engine cut out and we became weightless. Everything became confused, and left or right, up or down no longer had any meaning. After 10 seconds of free-fall descent, the pilot pulled the aircraft out of its nosedive. The return of gravity was
less immediate than its loss, but was still sudden enough to ensure that some students came down with a bump. After two hours of going up and down in the plane doing experiments, the predominant feeling was one of exhilaration rather than nausea. Most of the students thought it was an unforgettable experience and one they would be keen to repeat.

Question 1. What does the writer say about the plane?
A. It had no seats. B. It had no windows.
C. The inside was painted white. D. The outside was misleading.
Question 2. What does the word “eerily” in paragraph 2 mean?
A. badly B. brightly C. clearly D. strangely
Question 3. What did the pilot do with the plane?
A. He climbed and made the plane turn over.
B. He climbed and made the plane fall slowly.
C. He quickly climbed and stopped the engines.
D. He took off normally and then cut the engines for 20 seconds.
Question 4. What does the word it in the last paragraph refer to?
A. the exhilaration B. the opportunity C. the plane D. the trip
Question 5. Why was this passage written?
A. To encourage young people to take up science.
B. To describe the outcome of a scientific competition.
C. To report on a new scientific technique.
D. To show scientists what young people can do.

2. Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C or D to indicate the correct answer to each of the questions.

The word “robot” first appeared in a 1921 stage play by Czech writer Karel Capek. In the play, a man makes a machine that can think, which he calls a robot and which ends up killing its owner. In the 1940s, the American science fiction writer, Isaac Asimov, wrote a series of stories about robots and invented the term 'robotics', the science of robots. Meanwhile, in the real world, the first robots were developed by an engineer, Joseph F. Engelberger, and an inventor, George C. Devol. Together they started Unimation, a manufacturing company that produced the first real robot in 1961, called the Unimate. Robots of this type were installed at a General Motors automobile plant and proved to be a success. They worked reliably and saved money for General Motors, so other companies were soon acquiring robots as well. These industrial robots were nothing like the terrifying creatures that can often be seen in science fiction films. In fact, these robots looked and behaved nothing like humans. They were simply pieces of computer-controlled machines, with metal "arms" or "hands". Since they were made of metal, they could perform certain jobs that were difficult or dangerous for humans, particularly jobs that involve high heat. And since robots were tireless and never got hungry, sleepy, or distracted, they were useful for tasks that would be tiring or boring for humans. Industrial robots have been improved over the years, and today they are used in many factories around the world. Though the use of robots has meant the loss of some jobs, at the same time other jobs have been created in the design, development, and production of the robots. Outside of industry, robots have also been developed and put into use by governments and scientists in situations where humans might be in danger. For example, they can be sent in to investigate an unexploded
bomb or an accident at a nuclear power plant. Researchers also use robots to collect samples of hot rocks or gases in active volcanoes. In space exploration, robots have performed many key tasks where humans could not be present, such as on the surface of Mars. In 2004, two robotic Rovers, small six-wheeled computerized cars, were sent to Mars.

Question 1. When did the word robot appear?
A. before the 1920s B. in the early 1920s
C. in the mid-1920s D. in the late 1920s
Question 2. Which of these statements is TRUE about Karel Capek?
A. He is a famous American playwright.
B. He was the first to create the word “robot”.
C. He invented a machine that can think like humans.
D. He made a robot kill a person.
Question 3. What does the word “they” in paragraph 2 refer to?
A. terrifying creatures B. humans C. science fiction films D. industrial robots
Question 4. What are industrial robots like?
A. They are computer-controlled machines. B. They are built with metal arms and legs.
C. They behave like humans. D. They can think like humans.
Question 5. Which of the following is NOT mentioned as a characteristic of robots?
A. They never need food to survive. B. They can survive without any sleep.
C. They are tired like humans. D. They can do jobs involving intense heat.
Question 6. What can be inferred from the passage about robots?
A. Their appearance negatively affects the job market.
B. They can stop active volcanoes from erupting.
C. They help humans travel to the outer space.
D. They take away some jobs but offer some in return.
Question 7. Which of the following best paraphrases the sentence in bold in the first paragraph?
A. Because they were reliable and economical to General Motors, other companies started to use robots.
B. Other companies started to produce reliable and efficient robots for General Motors.
C. Every other company made use of robots because they were time-consuming and safe.
D. Robots worked well for General Motors, but caused certain trouble to others.
Question 8. What is the author's attitude towards robots in this passage?
A. He appreciates them. B. He dislikes them.
C. He thinks they are a nuisance. D. He is crazy about them.

3. Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C or D to indicate the correct word or phrase that best fits each of the numbered blanks.

MODERN SCIENCE
It seems entirely (1) ________ to us that there are teams of scientists in universities and (2) _______institutions around the world, attempting to (3) ________ the way the world works. However, it hasn't always been that (4) ________. Although the scientific method is now four or five hundred years old, the
ancient Greeks, for example, believed that they could work out the (5) ________ of natural events just by the power of thought.
During the 17th century, more and more people began to realize that they could (6) ________ their scientific ideas by designing a relevant (7) ________ and seeing what happened. A lot of (8) _______was made in this way by individual scientists. These men and women often worked alone, carrying out
(9) ________ into many different areas of science, and they often received very little (10) ________ for their hard work. (11) ________ the start of the 20th century, though, it became (12) ________ that science was becoming more complicated and more expensive. This individual scientist disappeared, to be replaced by highly qualified teams of experts. Modern science was born.

Question 1. A. natural B. physical C. unreal D. typical
Question 2. A. another B. every C. other D. whole
Question 3. A. construct B. create C. discover D. invent
Question 4. A. method B. route C. technique D. way
Question 5. A. aims B. causes C. purposes D. reasons
Question 6. A. calculate B. collect C. measure D. test
Question 7. A. analysis B. attempt C. experiment D. event
Question 8. A. development B. evolution C. movement D. progress
Question 9. A. discovery B. education C. experiment D. research
Question 10. A. present B. gift C. prize D. reward
Question 11. A. At B. In C. On D. For
Question 12. A. accurate B. actual C. clear D. true

3. Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C or D to indicate the correct word
or phrase that best fits each of the numbered blanks.

CRITICISM
It can take a long time to become successful in your chosen field, however (1) ____ you are. One thing you have to be (2) ____of is that you will face criticism along the way. The world is full of people who
would rather say something negative than positive. If you've made up your (3) ____ to achieve a certain goal, such as writing a novel, don't let the negative criticism of others (4) ____ you from reaching your
target, and let constructive criticism have positive (5) ____ on your work. If someone says you're totally (6) ____ in talent, ignore them. That's negative criticism. If, however, someone (7) ____ you to revise your work and gives you good reasons for doing so, you should (8) ____ their suggestions carefully. There are many film stars who were once out of (9) ____. There are many famous novelists who made a complete
(10) ____ of their first novel - or who didn't, but had to (11) ____ approaching hundreds of publishers before they could get it published. Being successful does depend on luck, to a certain extent. But things are more likely to (12) ____ well if you persevere and stay positive.
Question 01. A. talented B. invested C. mixed D. workable
Question 02. A. alert B. clever C. intelligent D. aware
Question 03. A. mind B. brain C. thought D. idea
Question 04. A. cease B. remove C. avoid D. prevent
Question 05. A. outcome B. result C. effect D. consequence
Question 06. A. lacking B. short C. missing D. absent
Question 07. A. suggests B. advises C. proposes D. explains
Question 08. A. think B. consider C. look round D. take
Question 09. A. career B. business C. job D. work
Question 10. A. mess B. rubbish C. trash D. garbage
Question 11. A. put off B. bank on C. keep on D. drop in on
Question 12. A. turn out B. come into C. deal with D. sail through

4. Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C or D to indicate the correct
answer to each of the questions.

Although I left university with a good degree, I suddenly found that it was actually quite hard to find a job. After being unemployed for a few months, I realized I had to take the first thing that came along or I'd be in serious financial difficulties. And so, for six very long months, I became a market research telephone interviewer. I knew it wasn't the best company in the world when they told me that I'd have to undergo three days of training before starting work, and that I wouldn't get paid for any of it. Still, I knew that the hourly rate when I actually did start full time would be a lot better than unemployment benefit, and I could work up
to twelve hours a day, seven days a week if I wanted. So, I thought of the money I'd earn and put up with three days of unpaid training. Whatever those three days taught me - and I can't really remember anything
about them today - I wasn't prepared for the way I would be treated by the supervisors.
It was worse than being at school. There were about twenty interviewers like myself, each sitting in a small, dark booth with an ancient computer and a dirty telephone. The booths were around the walls of the fifth floor of a concrete office block, and the supervisors sat in the middle of the room, listening in to all of our telephone interviews. We weren't allowed to talk to each other, and if we took more than about two seconds from ending one phone call and starting another, they would shout at us to hurry up and get on with our jobs. We even had to ask for permission to go to the toilet. I was amazed how slowly the day went. Our first break of the day came at eleven o'clock, two hours after we started. I'll always remember
that feeling of despair when I would look at my watch thinking, 'It's must be nearly time for the break', only to find that it was quarter to ten and that there was another hour and a quarter to go. My next thought was always, 'I can't believe I'm going to be here until nine o'clock tonight.' The most frightening aspect of the job was that I was actually quite good at it. 'Oh, no!' I thought. ‘Maybe I'm destined to be a market researcher for the rest of my life.' My boss certainly seemed to think so. One day - during a break, of course - she ordered me into her office. 'Simon,' she said, 'I'm promoting you. From tomorrow, you're off telecoms and onto credit card complaints. I'm sure you can handle it.
There's no extra pay, but it is a very responsible position.' Three weeks later, I quit. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Question 1. Why did the writer become a market research telephone interviewer?
A. He had completely run out of money. B. He had the right university degree for the job.
C. It was the first job he was offered. D. He knew it was only for six months.
Question 2. The writer had doubts about the company when ____.
A. they only offered him three days of training
B. they told him he wouldn't receive payment for his training
C. they told him he had to be trained first
D. he was told what the hourly rate would be
Question 3. His workplace could be best described as ____.
A. large and noisy B. silent and dirty
C. untidy and crowded D. old-fashioned and uncomfortable
Question 4. How did he feel when he realized it wasn't time for the break yet?
A. He felt that he would have to go home early.
B. He felt that he wouldn't survive to the end of the day.
C. He felt that the end of the day seemed so long away.
D. He felt that he must have made a mistake.
Question 5. What was unusual about Simon's promotion?
A. It showed how good he was at his job. B. It meant he would be phoning different people.
C. It involved greater responsibility. D. There was no increase in salary.

Sưu tầm

Chủ đề mới

VnKienthuc lúc này

Không có thành viên trực tuyến.

Định hướng

Diễn đàn VnKienthuc.com là nơi thảo luận và chia sẻ về mọi kiến thức hữu ích trong học tập và cuộc sống, khởi nghiệp, kinh doanh,...